Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Exercise For Old Guys Like Me?

As mentioned previously I started doing a lot of walking and combined it with 1600 push ups while in Ireland for five weeks doing ministry work. Since coming home I have been doing 100 push ups a day on average for 5 days each week. That puts me right at 2000 per month or 24,000 per year on average.

Sounds like an insurmountable task to some people I talk to and friends that are my age at 65. I even have well meaning friends ask me, "What am I trying to prove? The quick answer is NOTHING, except that I refuse to believe that at a certain specific age, we should simply resign ourselves to afternoon naps and spending a lot more time in our recliners watching the boob tube.  I decided that I would RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST OUT. Truth of the matter is that it is relatively simple and easy ONCE you make up your mind to actually do it. I say this with the greatest respect for those who are physically disabled in one fashion or another that prevents them from exercising more if they could.

 I remember when I got to Ireland and decided to set a goal of doing 50 push ups a day. When I got down on the floor and did my first 10, I thought to myself, "Old man, Old man, what cha gonna do, what cha gonna do when they come for you?" It occurred to me that this was going to be an impossible task. I kept thinking, "Who am I kidding" trying to do 50 push ups a day.

Fortunately I have always got a kick out of doing something that no one thought I could do including myself. I just kept on keeping on and now I find the 100 push ups a day with 2 days rest a week relatively easy. Truth is it has helped my core strength, dramatically improved my lower back problems and I just simply feel better about myself. I think it also makes me less prone to injury from a simple slip and fall etc.

My point is that IF you set goals for yourself and put forth the effort to accomplish them and just keep doing it, you will be successful. Don't get discouraged and don't let well meaning people tell you to stop acting like a child and wonder if you have slipped and fallen and hit your head on something.

Walking and push ups may NOT be your thing and that is fine. It works for me and I enjoy both activities. Find some activity that you are not doing now and try it. promise yourself to you will stick with it for 30 days no matter what and then drop me a note. I will be surprised if you have not formed a GOOD habit to replace the bad one of total inactivity.

Dan

(Matthew 4:23 NKJV) And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/373333-pushups-effect-on-testosterone/

Push Ups for Women? They are NOT just for me.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/do-15-quotrealquot-pushups

No comments:

Post a Comment