Search This Blog

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cottage Cheese and Lite Fruit Cocktail

When my blood sugar is high and I cannot attribute a particular reason for it, my preferred meal is cottage cheese and a little lite fruit cocktail. Right now, I am going through  a cycle where I THINK but am not sure that my blood glucose readings are high possibly because I am having some synergism between Niaspan and the niacin in my B-Complex vitamins, along with a fairly recent doubling of my linsinopril and my Niaspan.

Ecerpt from the following link: 

  Niaspan Effect On Blood Glucose levels
 
(NIASPAN may cause an increase in blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, check your blood sugar levels more frequently during the first few months or with NIASPAN dose changes.)
Some medicines should not be taken with NIASPAN. Tell your health care provider about all the medicines you take, including aspirin, any cholesterol medication, blood pressure medication, or anticoagulants, also known as blood thinners, or any products containing niacin or nicotinamide.

I know that one of the side effects of Niaspan is the possibility of elevated blood sugar. Lisinopril has the opposite possible side effect. This means that (2) of the prescription drugs I am currently taking for high blood pressure, and high triglycerides and cholesterol can also affect my blood sugar levels..

(Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lisinopril. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
Insulin, sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide), or other oral diabetes medicines (eg, metformin) because the risk of low blood sugar may be increased) SEE   /

 Link to Lisinopril


To remedy the situation and try to figure out if this is the case, I am going to cut both my Lisinopril and my Niaspan back to the levels I was taking previously. I am NOT going to stop them entirely. I am going to cut the daily dose in 1/2 and also eliminate any starches including the 12 grain bread, bran muffins etc. I have been trying lately. I will continue the oatmeal with flax seed oil and ground flax seeds.

I will continue with my raw salads, & steamed green beans, brocclli, spinach, asparagus, celery & apple VitaMix drinks., etc.

I will monitor my blood sugar more closely and will not expect a miracle overnight. It may take a week or more for any difference to show up. This is the hardest part of being a Type II diabetic for me. I am also particularly susceptible to stress in my life affecting my glucose readings. I think sometimes I am handling the stress well, and the test meter indicates I am not.

I am also NOT a quitter and never have been, so I will keep pursuing the best path to reversal that I can and not get discouraged.

How does cottage cheese help?

  • It is low in calories and fat
  • It is high in protein  / a half cup has 14 grams of protein
  • It is low in carbohydrates
  • It is high in bone building calcium & Vitamin D
  • I never met anyone who got fat eating cottage cheese
  • Just a scoop or two with some light fruit cocktail satisfies your hunger & you know it isn't going to drive your glucose levels up
Dan

Disease does not occur unexpectedly, it is the result of constant violation of Nature's laws. Spreading and accumulation of such violations transpire suddenly in the form of a disease - but it only seems sudden.
Hippocrates

"Pray without ceasing."—1 Thessalonians 5:17.

No comments:

Post a Comment