Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

GLIPIZIDE Benefits and Side Effects

I take (2) prescription drugs for Type II diabetes and have since I was first diagnosed. One is Metformin (with a separate blog post) and the other is Glipizide. I don't want to be on either one and hopefully someday will be free of prescription drugs. In the interim, I don't self medicate and I do not stop taking what my doctor prescribed. I am thankful that both Metformin and Glipizide are NOT new drugs. They have a track record and since I do not like being some pharmaceutical company's experiment, I am grateful for that.

My understanding is that glipizide lowers blood sugar by causing the pancreas to produce more insulin. To my thinking, it sure beats being on an insulin pump or having to take shots. Glipizide is in a class of medications called sulfonylureas. This medicine will only work if your body produces its own insulin naturally and is therefore not to be used by Type I diabetics. In the does normally prescribed it is well tolerated by most people.


  • 30 minutes before a meal take your Glipizide for best results

What are the side effects:


  • diarrhea
  • gas
  • feeling jittery
  • weakness
  • dizziness
  • uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
  • red or itchy skin
  • rash
  • hives
  • blisters

Some side effects are not just annoying, but very serious and require a check up by your doctor:

  • yellowing of the skin or eyes
  • light colored stools
  • dark urine
  • difficulty breathing, closing of the throat
  • swelling of the lips, tongue or face



If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online [at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch] or by phone [1-800-332-1088].
In one study, people who took a medication similar to glipizide to treat their diabetes were more likely to die of heart problems than people who were treated with insulin and diet changes. Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking glipizide


Dan
 Proverbs 4:20-22 KJV "My son, attend to my words, incline thine ear to my sayings, Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life to those that find them, and health to their flesh"

3 comments:

  1. I feel pleasure to read the content that you are posting.
    http://www.actosbladdercancerclaim.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think many of websites provide this type of information.
    www.actosbladdercancerclaim.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad those meds worked for your without a hitch and stop to smell the roses. Remember, life is a marathon, not sprint.

    Actos lawsuit Info Center.

    ReplyDelete