OK, I am talking a lot about IODINE in the last few posts. Reason being, I think there is a lot to talk about. Iodine plays a much more important role in our health and well being that I was ever aware of. I want to pass as long as much information as I can regarding this substance so that you will ask your diabetes doctors for an iodine test and also take a look at the many different symptoms that an iodine deficiency can play a role in and find out the best course of action for yourself and if IODINE can play a positive role in your recovery.
James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully
and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my
soul knoweth right well.
There is a lot of truth to that particular biblical passage and in part at least it makes us aware that the best pathway to total health is NOT to isolate and treat only the symptoms of each ailment or disease with prescription drugs and just keep adding different prescription drugs for each additional ailment while at the same time not realizing the complexity of the entire body and how all our parts work together.
I Corinthians 12:21
King James Bible (Cambridge
And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee:
nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
My point is that the medical community at large and the pharmaceutical companies have a tendency to prescribe drugs for each and every ill of mankind while not realizing that the drugs themselves are often responsible for many of the additional ills we suffer from. As an example how many different drugs are you taking right now to keep your blood glucose levels in line, and how many additional drugs for you blood pressure, your gout, your arthritis, your high cholesterol, your high triglycerides, etc. etc.???????
The bible says that all the parts of the body work together and the eye cannot dismiss the hand saying I have no need of you nor can the head say to the feet etc. Ask someone who has unfortunately lost their big toe in an accident how their sense of balance is affected?
I am by NO MEANS making a case for IODINE as a cure all for everything, however I am astounded at the broad spectrum role that having the proper daily intake of iodine plays. Again, iodine does not work independently of other vitamins, minerals and trace substances as a certain amount of selenium, magnesium etc. is needed to make the small amount of iodine able to do its work.
Balance is the KEY that unlocks "The Magic Toyshop" of our bodies well being and when all trace minerals and substances and the proper vitamins etc. along with a good diet are taken in, our bodies work as the Good Lord intended them to.
God Bless you,
Iodine and Diabetes:
Iodine is a key element in fighting diabetes because it helps regulate the thyroid and is essential for a healthy liver, gallbladder, pancreas, spleens and more. While it is well known that diet, obesity, food allergies, viral infections, and stress are all contributing factors for diabetes, it is less widely recognized that these factors are often either a cause of or caused by a weak liver, spleen, and pancreas.
For example, obesity is the result of poor diet and/or a sluggish liver which causes a sluggish metabolism. A sluggish liver is often associated with gallstones because the liver and gallbladder are interconnected. And gallstones are formed because of "bile stasis" due to a sluggish gallbladder. Fatty liver (a common complication of diabetes) is also an indicator of liver weakness, and chronic diarrhea (yet another common diabetes symptom) is caused by a weak spleen according to Chinese medicine.
It is well known that diet, obesity, food allergies, viral infections, and stress are all contributing factors for diabetes, but my understanding is that these factors either cause or are caused by a weak liver, spleen, and pancreas. For example, obesity is the result of poor diet and/or a sluggish liver which causes a sluggish metabolism. A sluggish liver is often associated with gallstones because the liver and gallbladder are interconnected. And gallstones are formed because of "bile stasis" due to a sluggish gallbladder. Fatty liver (a common complication of diabetes) is also an indicator of liver weakness, and chronic diarrhea (yet another common diabetes symptom) is caused by a weak spleen according to Chinese medicine.
In women, iodine's ability to revive hormonal sensitivity back to normal significantly improves Insulin sensitivity and other hormones.
For diabetes, one can take up to 50 mg or more per day of Iodine. A combination of both elemental and potassium iodine works best and selenium is an important co-factor which enables the body to properly utilize iodine.
Natural Remedies for Diabetes:
In addition to sensible dieting and physical activities, the following have all shown the ability to help with diabetes:
• GTF Chromium (Glucose Transport Factor Chromium) - The primary role of insulin is glucose transport is the primary role of insulin, chromium's main function is increasing insulin's efficiency in regulating blood sugar levels. In one study of 180 men and women with Type II diabetes, researchers divided the subjects into three groups, each receiving twice daily doses of either 200 mcg or 500 mcg of chromium or a placebo. The patients were allowed to continue with their usual diet and medications. At the end of two months, those who took 1,000 mcg of chromium daily showed significant improvement in insulin response, the number if insulin receptors, and levels of blood lipids (fats and cholesterol)0. It took four months the group taking 400 mcg chromium daily to improve as much as the higher dosage group. However, all the patients taking chromium showed measurable improvement in their diabetes-related symptoms
Source: "Chromium in the Prevention and Control of Diabetes" by Richard A. Anderson, PhD, Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 1998
• Pycnogenol - Pycnogenol is a powerful antioxidant derived from French maritime pine tree bark and the subject of more than 180 studies over 35 years which has been shown to reduce high blood pressure, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose without affecting insulin levels. Of particular note is its ability to reduce leakage into the retina by repairing capillaries in the eyes. While still largely unknown to American doctors, Pycnogenol is the leading prescription for diabetic retinopathy in France.
• "Oleander Extract" - A carefully prepared aqueous extract of the oleander plant made according to the directions in the e-book "Cancer's Natural Enemy" or available in essentially the same form as the herbal supplement Rose Laurel OPC Plus, and is now available for purchase in the U.S. at the Utopia Silver Suppplement company (http://www.utopiasilver.com) or internationally as the Sutherlandia OPC herbal supplement (http://www.sutherlandiaopc.com). Diabetics who have used this remedy report being able to either reduce or eliminate medications altogether, often being able to control their diabetes with diet alone. Note: Oleander is highly toxic in raw form, but safe when boiled and strained according to the directions in the book or taken in herbal supplement form.
• Bitter Guord - Make a watery juice of a small Bitter Guord (remove seeds) and drink every morning. Bitter Guord also helps to clear pimples and maintain a good skin, and is good for de-worming the intestines.
• Gymnema Sylvestre - Is a plant that grows in the tropical forests of central and southern India and in parts of Africa. Herbalists in India have used the leaves of this long, slender plant as a treatment for diabetes for more than 2,000 years. The Hindu word "gumar," which means "sugar destroyer," describes the primary use of the herb in traditional Indian medicine. So strong is this herb that powered gymnema root has also been used to treat snake bites, constipation, stomach complaints, water retention, and liver disease. Doctors in India note that Gymnema Sylvestre is used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus and in food additives against obesity and caries.
• Prickly Pear Cactus (Nopal) - Prickly pear could reduce the normal elevations in blood sugar levels after a meal by up to 50 per cent according to a recent study. Prickly pear cactus is widely used to control blood sugar and diabetes and the cactus pads are consumed regularly in Mexico,.
• Blackseed Oil (Nigella Sativa) - Also called black cumin seed (be sure that it is Nigella sativa regardless of what it is referred to as). Blackseed oil is legendary for its medicinal properties and has been used for thousands of years (Click here for more information). Preliminary research in animal trials has shown that that an extract from Nigella sativa seeds can reduce elevated blood sugar levels and the antioxidant activity of the extract may prevent the complications associated with uncontrolled type II diabetes.
• Fenugreek seed - Soak fenugreek seeds in about one teaspoon in water at night, drink that water in the morning and chew and eat the soaked seeds. Helps reduce blood sugar.
• Green plaintain peels - Wash a green plantain and peel it, then put the peel in a jar and cover with water. Let sit overnight, and then drink this water three times a day. Lowers your blood sugar level. Keep drinking as needed and change the peel every other day and refill the jar with water.
• Agaricus Blazei Murrill (ABM) Mushroom – referred to in it’s native Brazil as “The Mushroom of the Gods” with good reason due to it’s amazing immune boosting and disease fighting properties. Available in health food stores and online at various sites
• Alpha Lipoic Acid - In Germany, alpha-lipoic acid is an approved medical treatment for peripheral neuropathy, a common complication of diabetes. It speeds the removal of glucose from the bloodstream, at least partly by enhancing insulin function, and it reduces insulin resistance, an underpinning of many cases of coronary heart disease and obesity. The therapeutic dose for lipoic acid is 600 mg/day. In the United States, it is sold as a dietary supplement, usually as 50 mg tablets. (The richest food source of alpha-lipoic acid is red meat – but to insure proper health, use lean cuts of organic beef that has not been subject to antibiotics or feed lot practices).
• Cat’s Claw – Used by indigenous tribes in Peru and South America to treat diabetes. Available at health food stores.
• Cinnamon - Cinnamon has been shown to help regulate blood glucose levels and several studies indicate that it may be helpful against diabetes, particularly type II diabetes.
• Mullaca - Mullaca is employed in herbal medicine systems today in both Peru and Brazil. In Peruvian herbal medicine the plant is called mullaca or bolsa mullaca. To treat diabetes, the roots of three mullaca plants are sliced and macerated in 1/4 liter of rum for seven days. Honey is added, and 1/2 glass of this medicine is taken twice daily for 60 days. In addition, an infusion of the leaves is recommended as a good diuretic, and an infusion of the roots is used to treat hepatitis. For asthma and malaria, the dosage is 1 cup of tea made from the aerial parts of the plant. In Brazilian herbal medicine the plant is employed for chronic rheumatism, for skin diseases and dermatitis, as a sedative and diuretic, for fever and vomiting, and for many types of kidney, liver, and gallbladder problems.
• Other Good Foods and Supplements - Almonds, apples, oranges, coconut oil, and substances high in omega three oils (olive oil, flaxseed oil, fish oil, borage oil).