This months article which caught my eye concerns itself with general prostate health, prostrate friendly supplements and prostate cancer prevention.
Here are some supplements to consider:
- FLAXSEED - They provide a rich source of lignans and essential fatty acids. Flax seed supplementation has been shown to lower PSA levels.
- BORON - In one study those with the highest boron intake showed a 54% lower risk of prostate cancer compared to those with the least intake.
- CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES - such as broccoli show promise in inhibiting prostate cancer in experimental models
- VITAMIN D - 2000 to 10,000 IU daily are recommended for prevention. Life Extension suggests an optimum vitamin D blood level of 50-80 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL)
- GREEN TEA EXTRACT - one clinical trial demonstrated that green tea catechine were 90% effective in preventing prostate cancer in men with pre-malignant lesions.
- OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS - suggested dosage of 2-4 grams of fish oil concentrate supplying 700-1400 milligrams of EPA and 500-1000 milligrams of DHA daily
- Co enzyme Q10 - suggested daily intake of 100 milligrams for prevention
- GAMMA-TOCOPHEROL VITAMIN E - shown to possibly lower risk of prostate cancer
- LYCOPENE - Is a carotenoid occurring abundantly in tomatoes - in one study healthy men with the highest lycopene levels in their blood were shown to have a 60% reduced risk of developing prostate cancer.
- SELENIUM - ONLY NEEDED IN SMALL QUANTITIES AND YET ESSENTIAL AS BLOOD LEVELS OF THIS DECREASE WITH AGE
- ZINC - 15 mg per day
- MILK THISTLE - (look for isosilybin as ingredient)
- ZEAXANTHIN - higher levels are protective against prostate cancer based on limited evidence
- SAW PALMETTO -TYPICAL DOSE AGE 320 MILLIGRAMS DAILY
- BETA-SITOSTEROL - shown to block growth of prostate cancer cells
- GINGER - extract beneficial in prostate health
The article listed A TOTAL OF 34 different supplements and compounds that are proven healthy for your prostate. You need to read the article in its entirety for the full story.
Life Extension also sells prostate healthy supplements. Here are a couple:
Life Extension Super Bio-Curcumin item #00407
Triple action cruciferous vegetable extract items #01468 and 01469
Vitamin D3 Item 01713
Mega Green Tea Extract - item #00953 and 00954
IF you only try one of their supplements for your prostate health, make it POMI-T item #01797 containing four supplements in one (pomegranate, green tea, tumeric, broccoli).
I HAVE PERSONALLY BEEN ON A PRODUCT FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW CALLED (Best prostate) and my PSA levels have been great and no other problems. That particular supplement contains HIGH levels of Beta-Sitosterol which is an important one. See my blog post on that supplement. That supplement is NOT sold by Life Extension, I just happen to like the research Life Extension does and each month I get their informational and educational magazine in the mail.
(Disclaimer) I do NOT receive any remuneration or payment of any kind from the Life Extension organization.