Rather than argue with either fruit, I try to include BOTH in my daily regimen. I also take a pomegranate supplement and keep a plastic container of dried fruits (Including Pomegranates) and nuts on hand. Being a type 2 diabetic, I do not eat a lot of either and if I drink the pomegranate juice, I try and select the juice from concentrate to keep the sugar content down.
Health Benefits of the Pomegranate
- Most powerful anti-oxidant of all fruits
- Potent anti-cancer and immune supporting effects
- Inhibits abnormal platelet aggregation that could cause heart attacks, strokes and embolic disease
- Lowers cholesterol and other cardiac risk factors
- Lowers blood pressure
- Shown to promote reversal of atherosclerotic plaque in human studies
- May have benefits to relieve or protect against depression and osteoporosis
Many studies show that the pomegranate is one of the most powerful, nutrient dense foods for overall good health. These clinical findings clearly show a correlation between pomegranate compounds and their positive effect on both human and animal cardiovascular, nervous, and skeletal health. This is one fruit that you can't afford to exclude from your diet!
I first started taking pomegranate supplement capsules while up in the Berkshires, after getting back from 5 weeks of ministry work in Ireland. The most available source was a GNC store in the mall near where we stayed.
Since that time, I have had a chance to study pomegranate juice, extract, fruit etc. and feel one of the best ways to add the benefits of pomegranate to your diet is to take a supplement from VITACOST.
I will list one here that I am going to start ordering:
Vitacost Pomegranate Extract Featuring VitaGranate® -- 500 mg per serving - 300 Capsules
Item #: NSI 7013449
SKU #: 844197013449
Count: 300 Capsules
Weight: 0.49 lb
Serving: 2 Capsules
Potency: 500 mg
$22.99 at the time this post is written.