Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Celery/Apple Smoothie

I am going to start a series of posts on favorite smoothies for diabetics. Some of these will be my own and others will be those that readers send in.

I did another post today on the value of including celery and celery juice in your diet as a diabetic. If that doesn't sound like a refreshing drink you look forward to all day, then try this one:

  • (4) stalks of green celery with or without the leaves
  • (1) medium size apple ( I prefer green tart apples or a red fuji apple)
  • (1 1/2 cups) of water, or diet cranberry juice etc.
  • (1) pre-measured flavored1000 mg Vitamin C packet (I prefer Rite Aid Resurgen C and tonight I used a raspberry flavored packet. I also use Emergen- C packets which come in various flavors

I own a Vita Mixer which is a great machine to make smoothies. I put in the water first, then 4 stalks of celery cut to about 3 inch lengths, then I quarter an apple with the peeling left on. I core out the 4 pieces, cut them in half and add them to the mix. I then pour in the flavored vitamin C packet, and follow directions for the Vita Mixer until the entire contents are completely liquid.Do NOT store it, but drink it immediately for past nutritional value. Try this instead of a diet cola or a cup of coffee.

It is delicious and you get 1000 mg of Vitamin c, plus the inherent vitamins and minerals in the apple and the celery. The celery helps your body's PH and also lowers your blood pressure amongst other benefits (see the blog post on celery).

I bet if you are in the habit of popping a couple of tums or Rolaids every night before going to sleep, you will find you do not need them anymore.

Dan

Psalm 147:3 NKJV  "He heals the broken hearted and binds up their wounds"

No comments:

Post a Comment