Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Choosing A Doctor To Work With On Your Type II Dabetes

Let me begin this post by saying, I have a terrific doctor. She works with the Joslin Diabetes Center, of which there are many across the country. What do I mean by a terrific doctor? Good question. For me, it means that she will sit down with me, and take the time to answer my questions and concerns. I do not feel like someone simply being pushed through the system as quickly as possible. Every time I go in, they check my weight, my blood pressure, my A1C, my feet with a simple nerve test and a visual exam to check for signs of any neuropathy etc. You might respond back, "So what makes that different than any other doctor?".

To me the key issue is talking to me, getting to know me, and the willingness to work with me closely in trying to help manage and lower my BG readings. She is more than willing to reduce or eliminate or change my medication if my A1C, blood pressure readings, blood lipid profile stats etc. warrant a change. If I have questions about high morning readings when I went to bed with a BG of 115, she works with me on that. When I am there I tell her what I have been eating (or not eating), how much and what kind of exercise I am actively engaged in. She has a list of the supplements I take in addition to the diabetes drugs prescribed by her.

I wrote this post because sometimes I think doctors get a bad rap. I owned my own business for 30 years and had a few doctors for insurance clients. I found out for the most part, they are honest, decent human beings that are probably over worked and under paid. They spent several years and a lot of money to obtain their medical degree. I have found most of them got into the medical field because they honestly truly felt they could make a difference. I believe that when you hurt, they hurt. I think most of them would be happy to see a cure for Type II diabetes.

I think there are good and bad doctors, just like there are good and bad cops, insurance agents, school teachers etc. If you feel your current doctor is not working with you or doesn't have your best interest at heart, or you think they are simply trying to see how many drugs they can prescribe for you, then ask for a second opinion, or perhaps look for a different doctor. I realize some people do not have a choice because of  their health insurance or lack thereof. That is why education and your own research are so important. Before I fill a prescription for any new drug, I Google the side effects, the synergism (or inter action) with other drugs I am taking, or food, etc. For example some of my medications indicate I should NOT eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. It is because doing so might lessen or dramatically boost the effect of that drug, which in turn makes it less effective or results in an over dose.

We can argue over the approach the medical field takes in their research, which is essentially rooted in the pharmaceutical industry. We can add to that the abuses of the FDA which are cited on many websites geared towards a natural cure instead of waiting for a "New Wonder Drug". I come down on the natural approach side of the equation. I am taking Metformin and Glipizide for Type II diabetes, however it is NOT because I think I have a Metformin and Glipizide deficiency. It is because at all costs, I want to keep my BG levels down while trying to eat better, exercise more, and try and wean myself off the need for drugs. I don't like taking drugs. I also do NOT want any of the deadly serious complications of Type II diabetes either.

Dan

Isaiah 53:4-5 "Surely he took up our infirmities, and carried our sorrows, yest we considered him stricken by God, smitten by Him and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed"

No comments:

Post a Comment