Here is a partial list of the best LOW carbohydrate vegetables and fruits for those following a LOW glycemic index regimen for type II diabetes:
- Sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.)
- Greens – lettuces, spinach, chard, etc.
- Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.
- Radicchio and endive count as greens
- Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
- Bok Choy
- Sea Vegetables (Nori, etc)
- Cabbage (or sauerkraut)
- Cucumbers (or pickles without added sugars)
- Green Beans and Wax Beans
- Summer Squash
- Scallions or green onions
- Bamboo Shoots
- Brussels Sprouts
- Snow Peas (pods)
- Celery with tuna salad
- Hard boiled eggs
- Deviled eggs
- Dill pickles and cheddar cheese (no kidding, it’s a great combo)
- 1/4 cup berries with 1/3 cup cottage cheese
- Nuts (keep raw ones in the freezer if you think you’ll overeat them)
- Sunflower seeds (get them in the shell so it will take longer to eat them)
- Other seeds (How to Toast Pumpkin or Squash Seeds)
- Low-Carb Trail Mix
- Jerky (beef or turkey -- try to find low-sugar varieties)
- Low-carb shakes
- Cheese sticks, such as string cheese
- Sugar-free Jello, alone or with cottage cheese and a sprinkling of nuts
- Make sugar-free lime Jello with part coconut milk -- For a large package, dissolve the powder in a cup of boiling water, add a can of coconut milk, and then add the rest of the water. Stir well.
- Pepperoni "chips" -- Zap the slices in the microwave
- Cheese with a few apple slices
- 4-ounce plain or sugar-free yogurt with berries and flax seed meal
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese on cucumber slices
- Lettuce Roll-ups –- Roll luncheon meat, egg salad, tuna or other filling and veggies in lettuce leaves
- Lunch Meat Roll-ups –- Roll cheese or veggies in lunch meat (read the labels for carbs on the lunch meat)
- Spread bean dip, spinach dip, or other low-carb dip or spread on the lunch meat or lettuce and then roll it up
- Raw veggies and spinach dip, or other low-carb dip
- Pork rinds, with or without dip
- Ricotta cheese with fruit and/or nuts and/or flax seed meal
- Mushrooms with cheese spread inside (or other spreads or dips)
- Low-carb snack bars (watch out for sugar alcohols, especially maltitol)
- Product Review: Atkins Advantage Bars
- Pepperoni Chips -- Microwave pepperoni slices until crisp. Great with cheeses and dips
- Garlic Parmesan Flax Seed Crackers
- Parmesan Crisps -- Good when you want a crunchy snack.
- Peanut Butter Protein Balls
I think in light of my family tree and gene pool in regards to my latest blood lipid profile printout, I NEED to go as low carbohydrate a regemin as I can tolerate. On the other hand, I remember getting pretty sick of eating just eggs, and cheese and meat, which is mainly what I remember from the old Atkins plan.
This time around, I have been eating a lot of vegetables the last couple of months and want to try and build my low carb plan more around vegetables, nuts, some fruit, tuna fish, salmon, fish etc. as opposed to gargantuan amounts of red meat. I am going to investigate LOW carb, high protein shakes also. I already am used to taking whey protein powder in skim milk, however I will be switching that routine to diet juice or water. I will continue with the low fat cottage cheese also as it has around 3 grams of carb per ounce. I will have to switch from LITE fruit cocktail to FRESH fruit as even the lite fruit cocktail has too many carbs.
One has to also remember that it isn't just sugar we need to avoid. All carbohydrates turn to sugar in our system and the refined carbs convert too quickly for a Type II diabetic. FORGET all the come on "No Sugar Added" desserts such as pies, cakes, cookies etc. in your local grocery. They are loaded with carbohydrates which convert quickly to sugar in your system.
15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.