First the 6 stages:
1) NO BG control - in the beginning stage of being diagnosed and having a fasting blood glucose level above 126mg or an oral glucose level above 200mg
2) BG Control With Prescription Drugs - this is where most of us transition to after trying to control it with diet and exercise and we also tend to UNDER estimate diabetes in this stage. I find MANY people are immediately put on medications without a trial period depending on how high the glucose levels were when diagnosed.
3) BG Control With Reduced Drugs - DeWayne mentions this is the most difficult state because you are not only fighting the disease itself but also the side effects of the drugs and their impedence on the healing process.
4) BG Control Without Drugs - the stage where you are controlling your blood glucose with just nutrition and exercise without drugs. He warns against relaxing in this stage as there is still more work to be done and you must be vigilant.
5) BG and HbA1C Control - this is the stage where both your daily BG readings and your average 2 or 3 month A1C reading is within the normal range without drugs.
6) BG and HbA1C Tighter Control - This is where you have NO need for drugs and your control of both your daily BG readings and your A1C levels are in tight control and the disease is totally reversed. At this stage, your blood pressure, body mass index, minerals, enzymes and cholesterol etc. should all be in normal
It is difficult to argue with DeWayne's accomplishment or his research since he started out in a diabetic coma with a blood glucose reading of 1337 and taking insulin 4X daily. In the book he mentions that if he had not called 911 and been taken to the hospital that night, he would have died in his sleep Praise the Lord for the faith and intervention of his wife and his daughter and all those who prayed for his recovery during this process. Never under estimate the power of God and the power of Prayer in your recovery. Get right with the Lord FIRST, keep praying and serve him. Then go steps 1 through 6 and expect great things.
In Matthew 6:33, it says, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."
Joshua 24:15 "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Hosea 4:6 "My people perish for lack of knowledge"
He's the best physician that knows the worthlessness of most medicines.
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)