First of all:
- White adipose tissue cushions your organs, provides heat insulation and produces energy
- Brown adipose tissue regulates body temperature and plays a role in diet-induced thermogenesis, which essentially means that brown fat is helping to burn calories
One thing the study revealed is that there appears to be MORE (or more active) brown fat in lean, young individuals than in older individuals and suggests that having more brown fat my protect against obesity.
The Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston indicates these finding are in agreement with studies on rodents showing that rats with higher levels of brown fat are protected from diet-induced obesity and DIABETES.
According to Dr. Cypess the study on humans indicated people with more brown fat were not as obese as people with less brown fat. The brown fat takes calories and burns them for energy.
Partial list of study findings:
- Brown Fat and gender: brown adipose tissue was found in 7.5% women and 3.1% men. Per the study women appear to have greater ability to increase the size and mass of brown fat.
- Brown fat and age: Brown adipose tissue was found in people under the age of 50 more often
- Brown fat and weight: Brown fat was found in the least obese people
- Brown fat and lifestyle: Brown adipose tissue was found more often in patients NOT using beta-blockers (a class of drugs prescribed for cardiac arrhythmia's, cardioprotection after heart attack and hypertension and those with the lowest fasting plasma glucose levels and those who never smoked.
Can brown fat help you stay thin? Apparently ...yes Your thyroid plays a part in this process also.
Brown fat apparently decreases with age, however there are steps you can take to increase brown fat:
Nourish your thyroid and adrenal glands by following a healthy body ecology diet which includes plenty of minerals and fermented foods and drinks. Adding sea vegetables and supplements ca give you a leg up (so to speak) on thyroid and adrenal health.
Two options listed are "Ocean Plant Extract" and "Ancient Earth Minerals". (READ: Russia's, "Miracle" Heavy Metal Cleansing Sea Vegetable (and) Why people-Especially Kids - Are not getting enough minerals (AND what to do about it).
- Also AVOID a high sugar diet as it reduces brown fat activity.
- Get more Omega 3 fatty acids in your diet
- Green Tea has been shown to increase brown adipose tissue
Those with thyroid problems or if you have had or are going to have thyroid surgery, consult your doctor before starting on any supplements or activity that could interfere with current or expected thyroid treatments or conditions.
"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late" Ralph Waldo Emerson