Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Aspirin a Day Therapy / Your Probably Don't Need It

I was told over 15 years ago I should be taking a baby aspirin a day for prevention of heart attack. I never bought into it. My main concerns at that time were I just didn't think I needed it and I was worried about internal bleeding. Turns out that recent evidence supports both of those hunches. I was NOT diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes at that time either.

An recent article in Archives Of Internal Medicine reviewed several large studies of  low-dose aspirin therapy for people without any history of actual heart attacks. The findings were a 10% drop in NON-fatal heart attacks, HOWEVER there was NO reduction in actual deaths with aspirin therapy. The study came up with  the initials of NNT which translated is Number Needed to Treat. They estimated that 120 people would have to be on aspirin therapy for one year to prevent one minor heart attack.

The findings on side effects were as follows:

  • Aspirin stresses the lining of the stomach
  • Aspirin can cause heartburn
  • Aspirin can cause gastroesophageal reflux disease including bleeding
  • Aspirin can cause 1 serious bleeding event for every 73 people on aspirin therapy

They came up with another set of inititals / NNH or (number needed to harm)

Some people on baby aspirin for a few months end up needing "Acid Blockers" which in turn interfere with digestions of protein and calcium and limits your stomach acids ability to kill harmful bacteria and viruses.

To add insult to injury:

Acid blockers can cause:

  • Osteoporosis
  • Rebound acid hyper secretion
  • Stomach infections
  • Irritable bowel syndrome

Am I trying to play doctor here? NO, I am not, however again I urge you to do some research before you just follow any doctor's advice on starting a baby aspirin a day therapy regimen. If you have not already had a heart attack, take a close look at it and ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS before going on an aspirin a day.





Ps 91:9-10
9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; 10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.


Dan

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/10/health/aspirin-therapy-can-do-more-harm-than-good/

No comments:

Post a Comment