Search This Blog

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Importance of Aerobic exercise and Strength Training

I thought I would post an update on exercise routines and how they can help you. I did a few posts already on push ups and walking which is more or less the mainstay of my personal program. I am doing on average 400 plus push ups every week which puts me on track if I maintain the pace to do about 20,800 this year. I was doing 500 a week, however I have modified that program somewhat. I also try to walk briskly for 2.5 to 3 hours a week.

Recently I have started adding some curls with the weights and some pull ups to help balance out the strength training so I do not over train one set of muscles and end up with unbalanced strength training. The push ups are terrific for over all core strength, including abdominals' , however it neglects the opposing muscles that pull and perhaps puts too much emphasis on those that push.

I am having the same difficulty with pull ups that I did with push ups when I first decided to start doing them. (TRUTH be known - MORE trouble...it has been a long time). The key is to be disciplined enough to keep at it until you get it right. It beats the alternative of spending the last 5 to 10 years of your life in a nursing home for no other reason than not taking care of yourself, or that you are unable to get up out of a chair without assistance. I full well realize that one could end up in a nursing home or disabled because of circumstances entirely beyond your control. I PRAY that does not happen to me or anyone reading this blog. I am talking more about preventive medicine. Such things as eating right, walking, doing basic strength training exercises, certain balance exercises etc. to keep oneself mobile.

I do 100 to 150 push ups one day, and take the next day off. The following day, I do perhaps 75 push ups and add to that regimen two sets of curls with the weights, and a few pull ups. I also walk at least three days a week (indoors at a local facility during the winter months) and outside the rest of the time. During the fall I do a fair amount of hiking steep hills and rugged terrain during deer hunting season.

Dan

Psalm 30:2
O Lord my God, I cried to You and You have healed me.
Isaiah 53:4-5
Surely He has borne our griefs (sicknesses, weaknesses, and distresses) and carried our sorrows and pains [of punishment], yet we [ignorantly] considered Him stricken, smitten, and afflicted by God [as if with leprosy]. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole.
Psalm 107:20
He sends forth His word and heals them and rescues them from the pit and destruction.
Isaiah 58:8
Then shall your light break forth like the morning, and your healing (your restoration and the power of a new life) shall spring forth speedily; your righteousness (your rightness, your justice, and your right relationship with God) shall go before you [conducting you to peace and prosperity], and the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.

See links below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_(exercise)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/543598-can-you-be-buff-from-just-doing-pushups-and-pullups/

FOR THE REAL ENTHUSIAST SEE BELOW:

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/spec-ops-push-ups-and-pull-ups


No comments:

Post a Comment