Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

Delicious Whey Protein Smoothie

Lately I have been adding more protein to my diet in the form of whey protein. The older I get, the less red meat I am eating and felt the need to supplement with when protein. I buy mine currently at the local WalMart and it is called Body Fortress Super Advanced WHEY Protein  vanilla flavored and sells for around $15.95 for a 2 pound canister.

It contains 9 essential amino acids and 9 nonessential amino acids

Essential amino acids:

  • Histidine
  • Isoleucine
  • Leucine
  • Lysine
  • Methionine
  • Phenylalanine
  • Threonine
  • Tryptophan
  • Valine
Nonessential amino acids:

  • Alanine
  • Arginine
  • Aspartic Acid
  • Cysteine
  • Glutamic Acid
  • Glycine
  • Proline
  • Serline
  • Tyrosine

One scoop contains 26 grams of protein
Also contains trace amounts of calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium and potassium

Whey protein has a reputation of being much better for you than soy protein and  is easily digested

I could feel the difference in my well being the very first day I started on it. I used to get a blood sugar plummet around 10:30AM to 11:30AM after breakfast and after taking my supplements and morning prescriptions which include metformin and glipizide.

I now drink about 16 ounces of the whey protein mix and I do not have the blood sugar plummet and subsequent drop in energy levels either. It beats grabbing something sugary or high in carbs if you feel you are having a morning let down in blood sugar.

I put into my Vita Mixer fat free skim milk and ice cold water. I normally make a larger shake and share it with my wife. I usually mix  25% skim milk to 75% ice cold water. I add two scoops of the protein powder mix to 4 or 5 frozen strawberries and one peeled naval orange and blend till liquid and well mixed. It is delicious and hits the spot for the mid-morning pick me up.

I also find I have more energy when doing the push up routine I started a few months ago and the walking. It just seems to give me a sense of well being and more energy.

I encourage you to try it and experiment with different brands and substitute with a banana or blueberries, peaches and other fruit to you find something you like and will stick with. Give it a month and see if you don't feel better.

Malachi 4:2But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings; And you shall go out And grow fat like stall-fed calves.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment