Here is a list of supplements proven to one extent or another to counter age related memory loss, keep Alzheimer's at bay and in general help feed one's brain.
(First some statistics) Alzheimer's disease current affects 5.4 million Americans including 1 in 8 people over age 65. By the year 2050, it is expected to possibly jump to 18 million and may affect 1 in 4 Americans.
What can you do about it?
Everyone and diabetics particularly can avoid as much as possible and/or LIMIT fructose. The same can apply to too much glucose or sucrose. Don't simply depend on your prescription drugs if you are a type 2 diabetic. Practice on a daily basis, PUSHING YOURSELF AWAY FROM THE TABLE, and make reading labels a habit.
- Improve magnesium levels and switch to the new kid on the block, Magnesium L-Theronate
- Get enough vitamin D - I take 6000 in the summer and up to 10,000 mg daily in the winter months and have for a long time.
- Get enough Omega 3 fatty acids (Krill oil is a good source)
- Exercise regularly - get 30 mins plus of walking or some type of aerobics
- Start consuming extra virgin coconut oil and organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Take a supplement with Astaxanthin proven to cross the blood brain barrier and help counter oxidative stress (Also plays a role in EYE health, along with Lutein and bilberry)
- Eat wild organic blueberries every day as they have HIGH anthocyanin and antioxidant properties
- Avoid statin drugs if at all possible as they block acetylcholine which is a nervous system transmitter
- B Vitamins MAY reduce brain shrinkage by up to 90% / Shown promise for controlling homocysteine levels
- Vitamin B12 is especially important as some studies have shown on in 4 adults do not get enough B12
An article in the Jan 2014 issue of Life Extension Magazine also mentions the following supplements for brain health:
- Fish Oil
- Ginko extract
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Aceytl L-Carnitine
- (AND) a high potency multi-vitamin daily
9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; 10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling
Have a Great New year