Search This Blog

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Supplements To Help Control and Lower Blood Glucose

I have been a type 2 diabetic for going on 15 years now approximately. In the early days of being diagnosed, I was frankly shocked and bewildered and in a state of disbelief. I was always fairly active in that I worked out with the weights doing bench presses, push ups, pull ups etc. in addition to walking 3 or 4 times per week, deer hunting in the fall etc. During my stressful years of my 30's and 40's and running a multi-line insurance agency with all its responsibilities, my dietary habits were not the best. I ate lunches out every day and often breakfast too and was always on the run. Like a lot of guys raising a family and running a business, I always felt I was invincible. My attitude has changed over the years, especially after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. In July of 2013, I had to humble myself again when I had quadruple heart bypass surgery done. On the other hand I have always known that my gene pool on Dad's side of the family was NOT GOOD, especially in the cardiovascular end of health issues. My Dad and all of his brother's and sister's all died of heart disease, with one of his sisters whom I never met apparently dying around the age of 30. I also found out a few years ago that Dad was a type 2 diabetic although I had moved away from home at that time and never heard him mention it. I do recall my grandmother sitting at a Sunday family dinner when I was a kid and mentioning that she had a "touch of the sugar", which apparently was her way of saying she was also a type 2 diabetic though I never made the connection.

I have said all that, to say this:

I grew up hearing,  "that you can pick your friends, but you are stuck with your family." There isn't much one can do concerning your genetics except to recognize they exist and try to find out as much as you can about it. One thing you CAN CONTROL is what goes into your mouth, and how much exercise you get. What you eat is controlled by you and only you can put on a pair of walking shoes and decide to walk for 30-45 mins at least 5X weekly. (By the way, I love my family and did not mean to imply otherwise). My only point in mentioning genetic influence is that it is a factor for all of us.

This blog has numerous posts on exercise and the value of it along with articles on supplements you should be taking and foods to avoid, reading labels etc.

Today I wanted to list some herbal remedies and supplements that can help control and lower your A1C (mine is now 6.5).

Take a LOOK:

  • Fenugreek - contains soluble fiber called mucilage which helps lower blood glucose levels and also boosts HDL (Good cholesterol?) while reducing total cholesterol readings
  • Onions - also proven to lower blood sugar levels and cholesterol
  • Garlic - Again lowers blood glucose and has heart healthy benefits
  • Bitter Melon (balsam pear) tropical fruit found in Africa, Asia and South America - proven to lower blood glucose levels
  • Milk Thistle - shown to protect and cleans the liver along with lowering blood glucose levels, triglycerides and other heart healthy benefits
  • Bilberry - (Supplement form and also tea) - improve circulation to the retina of the eye and lower blood sugar and boost vitamin C levels
  • Gurmar - Indian folk remedy for diabetes and helps with insulin production
  • Ginko biloba - brain health, boosts circulation to extremities (arms, legs, fingers and toes)

  • Benfotiamine - (I have several posts dedicated to the role of Benfotiamine (Pronounced Ben Fo Ta Mean) and available in supplement form from several outlets such as Vita Cost, Swanson, Puritan Pride and others. This one is very good for the nerves and has shown promise in helping with diabetic neuropathy. I take this one 2X daily 300 mg. I do NOT HAVE AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY SIGN OF OR SYMPTOMS OF DIABETIC NEUROPATHY.
  • Pomegranates - a whole pomegranate contains apprx 48 grams of sugar, however eating the pomegranate seeds of one quarter of pomegranate only adds 12 grams of sugar and it has numerous other benefits. It is also available in supplement form with ZERO sugar and in pure juice (PomPom brand) where you can regulate how much sugar you ingest at a time.


SEE:

pomegranates for type 2 diabetes
Several studies suggest pomegranates may be helpful in the management of type 2 diabetes. The hard rind fruits contain compounds with antidiabetes properties and may help fight obesity as well.
Pomegranates may have a soft spot in the fight against type 2 diabetes. These tough skinned fruits have demonstrated some anti diabetes benefits in several recent studies.
For example, let’s consider the fruit’s role in AGEs (advanced glycation endproducts). AGEs are the product of foods that are fried or prepared at high temperatures. Basically these substances form when sugar reacts with proteins. Dietary AGEs are associated with inflammation and oxidative stress, which in turn are linked to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and its complications.

In closing out this post, I am a firm believer in taking positive action against type 2 diabetes as opposed to simply going on an insulin pump, or constantly increasing the number and doseage of various prescription drugs all of which have their own list of possible negative side effects.
Eat less, exercise more, do your own research and explore natural foods and herbs and supplements as opposed to simply taking more and more drugs and/or more insulin.
God Bless,
Dan
"Winners are self motivated. They don't wait for someone else to raise the bar. They raise it themselves"



Old Irish Proverb: "Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet"

No comments:

Post a Comment