Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2015

Diabetes Is A Serious Threat To Your Overall Health

Uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes is a very serious threat to your longevity and overall health. Hopefully that doesn't surprise anyone. Here is at least a partial list of the damage to your health that diabetes can cause:


  • Kidney failure
  • Non-trauma LE amputations
  • Blindness
  • Heart disease
  • Stroke
  • Diabetic neuropathy
  • Gangrene
  • Dental disease
  • Decreased tissue healing ability
  • Hypertension
  • Retinopathy


To that I would add dangerous weight gain from long term use of insulin and out of control eating.

When I first found out 12 to 14 years ago approximately that I was labeled a type 2 diabetic because of a fasting blood glucose level of 150 one morning, I was in SHOCK.

WHY ME_____? I had always been active etc. and it took me a while to wrap my head around it. I was put on Metformin and Glipizide and am still on those two meds although I have had the dose cut in half about 3 years ago. My last A1C was 6.5 and after losing approximately 26 pounds and keeping it off for two years now, I am in hopes of getting my A1C into the 5.__? range and keeping it there. I am simply not content to just eat anything and everything I want, and not do any exercise and depend on prescription drugs and/or insulin to take care of my diabetes.

I do not have any diabetic neuropathy, my vision is fine, my dental health is fine, no amputations from diabetes, no strokes, no heart attacks, no gangrene, etc.

Am I someone special or unique in being able to control my diabetes over the last 14 years? NO, I am just a type 2 diabetic that took it seriously, and does not look to Big Pharma to save me from myself. I also disciplined myself to study diabetes, and the latest exercise and supplements and diet recommendations to get the best control I can. Yes, I keep my appointments with the Joslin Clinic, take my BG levels 2 and sometimes 3X a day. I also try my best to get 150 mins of aerobic activity weekly, along with exercising my upper body through push ups, lifting weights etc. and do a series of stretching and abdominal exercises daily.

Recently I discovered the taking stairs two at a time for several minutes after breakfast and dinner and I am impressed at the difference in my glucose readings. I am always looking for any exercises involving LARGE MUSCLE groups that I can do to create a sugar deficit so that my body will move the glucose to my muscles for energy rather than sending it to my liver to store it as FAT.

It isn't always easy, but it DOES WORK. It takes determination and discipline, however the more you do it, the better you feel and your body will crave the exercise. It only takes about 7 days of disciplining yourself for it to become a habit.

Here is a link I came across on comparing RESISTANCE TRAINING (VS.) AEROBIC TRAINING FOR DIABETICS. I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ IT, AND STRONGLY CONSIDER MAKING CHANGES IN YOUR ROUTINE FOR THE BETTER.

http://ptrehab.ucsf.edu/sites/ptrehab.ucsf.edu/files/documents/Is%20Resistance%20Training%20or%20Aerobic%20Training%20More%20Effective%20in%20Lowering%20Blood%20Glucose%20Levels%20in%20Patients%20with%20Type%202%20Diabetes_Yee.pdf

I also PRAY a lot for others and MYSELF.

Dan


3 John 1:2King James Version (KJV)

Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.


No comments:

Post a Comment