Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Quaker Oatmeal / EXCEPTION to Getting Off The Grains

I did a little more research on the Wheat Belly lifestyle and decided I could not live without oatmeal. I also decided to STAY OFF the pre-packaged oatmeal which is over processed, and has too many additives, flavorings etc.

I have decided starting tomorrow to go back on oatmeal for breakfast a few times a week, however am switching to Quaker one minute oats or original Quaker Oats and adding my own fresh blueberries and a scoop of ground flax seed, handful of raw walnuts along with a few shakes of ground cinnamon to the mix. I may even throw in a packet of Stevia in the raw. Eating it with some protein (walnuts) seems to slow down and lessen any glucose spikes.

WHY?

The Wheat Belly diet does not specifically exclude oatmeal to begin with as wheat is the main culprit in all its many forms.

Quaker oatmeal has a lot less processing than the pre-packaged variety with no added sugar, or other additives, coloring etc.
IT IS a nutritious complex carbohydrate.
IT contains the minerals manganese, selenium, magnesium, zinc and copper.
It HAS protein and Soluble fiber in it.
The Soluble fiber helps stabilize BG levels and to lower cholesterol.
It Contains beta-glucan which helps activate immune cells.
It contains saponins which bind dietary cholesterol and usher it out Unabsorbed.
It can reduce LDL Cholesterol by up to 23%.
It is a rich source of Tocotrienols which is a relative of the Vitamin E family and guards against LDL cholesterol preventing it from sticking to artery walls and causing plaque build up.

Lastly I like it and my system seems to work better if I eat it every day than if I don't. I do think the Wheat Belly diet and getting off all the processed grains will bring great benefits to the average diabetic, so I am NOT slamming the research done in that regard.

My additional study on the subject has shown me that unprocessed oatmeal is in fact very healthy for you. Prior to my research I was eating the prepackaged flavored instant oatmeal which was full of additives, fake fruit, sugar, sodium etc.

My Suggestion for including Quaker oatmeal for breakfast is to include one or more of the following in your bowl of oatmeal to help offset an BG spikes after breakfast. If possible take a brisk 1.5 mile walk after breakfast.


  • Chopped walnuts
  • Yogurt
  • Scoop of Whey protein
  • Sprinkle cinnamon on it
  • Tablespoon of ground flaxseed
  • Tablespoon of extra virgin organic coconut oil mixed in




God Bless,

Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment