Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Recommended Dietary and Herbal Supplements For Diabetes

I have revisited recently a 77 page report entitled, "The Diabetes Reversal Report" copyright 2008- Barton Publishing Inc. I have owned the report for some time, originally read it and then put it away with other research papers on Type 2 Diabetes. I thought I would take an excerpt from the paper as it pertains to recommended supplements.

#1 Is Chromium Picolinate. It has been proven to help with blood glucose levels and even improves the effectiveness of prescription medicines. It is recommended that you let your diabetes doctor or clinic knw that you are starting on a chromium regimen and you must take your BG readings more frequently and keep track of what you are eating so that over a three month trial period, you can more accurately measure the effectiveness of the chromium supplementation in your diet. The paper lists CHROMAX as the most effective supplement in this regard.

#2 Is Pycnogenol which is a registered trademarked supplement derived from the bark of the French maritime pine tree. The bark is rich in an antioxidant called oligomeric procyanidians or OPC's. The OPC's appear to lower blood glucose and improve structure and function of the body's small blood vessels. In doing so they protect against diabetic complications such as vision loss, nerve damage, kidney damage and amputation. I have been on Pycnogenol for some time now.

#3 Is Alpha-lipoic Acid which has been shown to counter oxidation and restore insulin function in part by removing glucose from the system sooner and delivering it to cells. I also take Alpha-lipoic Acid supplements.

#4 Is Calcium and Vitamin D - I am a big fan of calcium and vitamin D3 supplementation and have several posts already on my blog, especially concerning Vitamin D3 research.

#5 Is Magnesium. Magnesium has many roles in the body and most of us do not get enough from the foods we eat. It is knows in trials to improve insulin function and lower blood sugar levels along with lowering high blood pressure. I personally take between 250 and 500 mg daily.

#6 Is Cinnamon which is another supplement I take regularly, usually in the form of capsules and have several posts already on the value of adding cinnamon to your diet regimen.

#7 Is Ginko Biloba which again  I have been on for some time. It has been shown to drop your A1C levels and acts as a blood-thinning agent. (CAUTION) - do not take this if your are on coumadin or any other blood thinning medicines.

#8 Is Fenugreek Seeds also shown to reduce blood glucose levels and triglycerides while increasing the good HDL cholesterol. (I have not tried this supplement)

#9 Is Gymnema Sylvestre is an old remedy useful in diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and gout. Its "saponin" compounds are useful in regulating blood sugar levels by interceding at the insulin receptor point. (I have not tried this supplement).

#10 Is Benfotiamine. It is a variation of vitamin B1 and improves blood flow in type 2 diabetics and also reduces inflammation at the cellular level. (I have not tried this supplement).

#11 Is Mulberry. The mulberry powder or leaf extract act as inhibitors of enzymes that otherwise allow too much glucose in the blood. (I have not tried this supplement).

#12 Is Asian Ginseng. Also called Korean ginseng and taken after meals can show improvement in BG levels. I have taken this supplement .

#13 IS Fish oil, when Protein, Zinc and Fiber all of which I take regularly

I have just scratched the surface of the information, research and knowledge in this report and I recommend you get a copy for yourself from www.DiabetesReversed.com from Barton Publishing Company.

I also have blog posts on many of these supplements which I take and have done research on in the past. I am always on the lookout for a more natural approach to diabetes and exercising and eating right to wean yourself off diabetic prescription drugs by working with your doctor or clinic for professional advice.

Dan

Ps 91:9-10

9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; 10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment