Search This Blog

Thursday, September 5, 2013

God Knows Exactly Where You Are

I thought I would switch blog posts for a while from heart disease and statins' and the pharmaceutical industry (vs.) nutrition to a true story that I read years ago that has always stuck with me in time of trouble. I read about it initially in a magazine about angels among us.

Dan

I will post it here as it is written in a book by Mark Batterson entitled "DRAW the CIRCLE / The 40 day prayer challenge:

                                                                 "THE PLACE"

Tending sheep.
Can you imagine a more monotonous existence? and Moses did it for forty years. He must have felt that God had put him to pasture. He once dreamed of delivering the people of Israel out of captivity, but that dream died when he killed an Egyptian taskmaster and fled the country as a fugitive. Moses spent the next forty years in spiritual exile on the backside of the desert.

Then God appeared to him in a burning bush.
I have a feeling that Moses got up that morning, put on his sandals, and picked up his staff, figuring it would be an ordinary day just like the day before, and the day before the day before, and the day before that. But you never know when or where or how God will invade the routine of your life.

Jewish scholars used to debate why God appeared to Moses in a burning bush. A thunderclap or lighting would have been more impressive. And why the far side of the desert? Why not the palace or a pyramid in Egypt.

They concluded that God appeared to Moses in a burning bush for one simple reason: to show that no place is devoid of God's presence, not even a bush on the backside of the desert. So they gave God a name I have learned to love. The place, God is here, there and everywhere. So it doesn't matter where YOU ARE; God can meet you anywhere.

A few years ago I heard author Ken Gaub share one of his most amazing prayer testimonies I've ever heard. He and his family where driving on I-75 near Dayton, Ohio, when they decided to stop at a restaurant. Ken's wife and children went right into the restaurant while he stretched his legs. As he walked past a nearby gas station, he heard a pay phone ringing. the phone kept ringing and Ken thought it might be some sort of emergency, so he answered it, He heard the voice of the operator, who said, "Long distance for Ken Gaub."

Ken almost passed out. He said, "You've got to be kidding me. I was just walking in the middle of nowhere and heard this phone ringing." The confused operator said, "Is Ken Gaub there? After making sure there weren't any candid cameras he said, The is Ken Gaub."

A voice on the other side of the line said, "Mr Gaub, my name is Millie. I'm from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. You don't know me, but I NEED YOUR HELP."  She went on to explain that she had just written a suicide note but had decided to give prayer one more shot. "She said, "God, I don't really want to do this." And as she prayed, she remembered seeing Ken Gaub on television. She thought to herself, "If I could just talk with him, he could help me." But this was pre-Google, making it extremely difficult to track him down. As she prayed, some numbers popped into her head, and she wrote them on a piece of paper. She couldn't help but think, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if God were giving me Ken's number?" Then Millie said, "I decided to try calling the number, and I couldn't believe it when the operator said it was you."

Millie asked Ken, "Are you in your office/" When Ken said no, Millie sounded surprised. She said, "Then where are you?" Ken said, "You make the call. Don't you know?" She said, "I don't even know what area I'm calling. I just dialed the number on apiece of paper." Ken said, "You won't believe this. I'm in a phone booth in Dayton, Ohio." Millie replied, "What are you doing there?" Ken said, "Answering a pay phone!"

Ken went on to draw this conclusion:

I walked away from the phone booth with an electrifying sense of our heavenly Father's concern for each of His children. What were the astronomical odds of this happening? With all the millions of phones and innumerable combination of numbers, only an all-knowing God could have caused this woman to dial that number in that phone booth at that moment in time.

When Ken hung up the phone, he walked over to the restaurant and sat down with his family. Still stunned, he said to his wife, Barb, "You won't believe this. "GOD KNOWS EXACTLY WHERE I AM."



No comments:

Post a Comment