Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2011

Exercise For Type 2 Diabetes / NO TIME? /Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

I recently started a new part time job that has a different schedule every week. The hours and days are never the same from week to week which makes it difficult to stick to my exercise regimen for reversing Type 2 diabetes.

NO PROBLEMO - as I simply decide in my heart to IMPROVISE, ADAPT AND OVERCOME.

I have a new job delivering auto parts for one of the local auto stores. I simply take 1 min 3 or 4 times a day between part runs to do 15-20 squats until I have completed 50-60 squats during my shift. I am NOT able to do them with the 20 pound dumb bells at work of course, however on those 3 or 4 days I work, I still get 50 or 60 squats in and I do the walking and push ups, abdominal exercises etc. before I go to work (if it is the afternoon shift) or after I come home if it is a morning shift.

This accomplishes two things for me:

  • I still get the 50 or 60 full squats in for that day, which DOES make a positive difference in my blood glucose readings
  • It keeps me motivated and on track so I do not come home and just collapse with a bowl of popcorn in front of the TV and say, "I am just too darn tired to exercise today"
My point is to NOT let circumstances win over your mind set of doing what you KNOW you have to do. If you are a Type 2 diabetic, you KNOW you have to exercise. You have to work aerobic and weight resistance training into your schedule regardless of how busy you are - real or imagined. Don't let the daily exercise become such a mountain of obligation that it becomes easy to avoid altogether. In my case, I do just 20 squats and later just 15 more and later still just another 15 and then maybe 15 more AFTER I get home. DO THE MATH - that is (65) total squats in one day. YES they get stretched out throughout the day, HOWEVER,  HEY - You Did Them. You earn self confidence and feel good points which gives you hope to "Keep on, Keeping on".

Trust me, it is important and it works. I tell myself, "Everyone has the exact same 24 hours in a day". It doesn't matter whether you are rich or poor, self motivated or a couch potato. What matters is that you do it and then the good exercise becomes a habit and your body will thank you for it.

Dan




It is NOT how many times you fall or get knocked down that is important. It is what you do after you get up.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment