Occasionally I like to dig around in my research library of articles and books I have read along with tapes I have listened to concerning health issues in general and Type 2 Diabetes in particular. This evening I came across the book mentioned in the blog post title concerning a son's search for cause and cure of his mother (Connie Chappell's diabetes).
In chapter 7 Dr. Chappell lists seven miracle elements to possibly cure diabetes used down through the centuries in different cultures. I will briefly outline them here:
First of all the medical profession refuses to recognize ANY cure for diabetes and last I looked the FDA has an official statement that, "ONLY drugs can cure disease", when in fact the millions of dollars spent on pharmaceutical drugs every year such as cholesterol lowering drugs including statins don't really CURE anything.
In any event, this post is NOT about the abuses and short comings of the FDA and pharmaceutical companies. It is about (7) elements used down through history to treat disease and diabetes in particular:
1. Cinnamon use dates back over 4000 years and has been used for the treatment of diarrhea, rheumatism, as an antibacterial digestive aid in relieving gas and bloating as well as certain menstrual disorders. The MOST RECENT use discovered by Dr, John Anderson of the USDA is for regulating GLUCOSE. Cinnamon contains a water-soluble polyphenol compound called MHCP in cinnamon that mimics insulin and activated cells receptor sites. One interesting fact about cinnamon discovered after the clinical trials that showed the effects of cinnamon lasted up to 20 days after people stopped taking it.
2. Bitter Melon which grows in tropical areas including parts of the Amazon, eastern Africa, Asia and the Caribbean. Usage dates back over 5000 years in China. It has proven useful in expelling worms, intestinal gas, stimulating and promoting menstruation, as an antiviral for measles and hepatitis, however it is especially used for DIABETES OR "Sweet Urine". To date (book 1st edition, 2nd printing 2005)...close to 100 in vivo (human studies) have been demonstrated to show blood sugar-lowering effect of the bitter fruit.
3.Gymnema sylvestre is a woody climbing plant that grows in tropical forests of central and southern India. The plant when chewed actually blocks the sugar receptor sites, which explains the Hindi name gurmar or "sugar destroyer". It has been used in the treatment of diabetes for over 2000 years. The Harvard medical School in conjunction with the Natural Standard, an organization that produces scientifically based reviews of complementary and alternative medicine topics, STATES, "There is evidence to suggest that gymnema can lower blood sugar levels in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. This is SIGNIFICANT.
4. NOPAL CACTUS - HAS BEEN USED IN MEXICO TO TREAT DIABETES, STOMACH PROBLEMS, FATIGUE, SHORTNESS OF BREATH, EASY BRUISING, PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT AND LIVER DISEASE FOR OVER 1000 YEARS. It has been thoroughly documented for over 500 years. Legend has it that the Aztecs used the "Prickly Pear" to control or actually cure diabetes (sweet urine).
5. American Ginseng is considered the KING of all herbs by the Asians. Whether American, Asian, or Russian/Siberian ginseng, all three are considered "adaptogens" and is useful in treatment of diabetes, fatigue, relieving stress and during convalescence. It also increases endurance and strength, helps to focus your thoughts, enhance memory, learning and behavior in patients with Alzheimer's and other dementia related ailments. The Archives of Internal Medicine (2000) reported by the University of Toronto, Canada that American ginseng produces a "Significant Reduction" in blood sugar in people with diabetes.
6. Fenugreek is used as a spice and a medicinal herb throughout the world. Chinese herbalists use it for kidney problems, male reproductive infections, constipation, atherosclerosis, high triglycerides, and high cholesterol. However the #1 reason fenugreek is used universally is for diabetes and sugar intolerance problems
7. Chromium - in the 1950's it was found that chromium was necessary for the maintenance of normal glucose tolerance. It has been studied that plasma chromium levels are at least 40% lower in 100% of diabetics. It is an essential trace mineral that helps maintain normal blood sugar levels.
There you have it. This brief summary of these (7) supplements will give you food for thought and I encourage you to look each one up individually for more information.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.