As the old saying goes, "Dance with the one that brought you to the dance" or "You can pick your friends but you are stuck with your family" etc. There isn't much one can do to completely eliminate the effects of the gene pool on who you are (with the exception of prayer and claiming all the benefits of God's WORD) , however I DO believe that exercise, eating right and taking the right supplements can go a long ways in keeping your diabetes under control.
Here is a list of my own supplements: (SOUNDS LIKE A LOT I KNOW, however the old saying goes, "If you have your health, you have everything. Being wealthy and in poor health is not a good thing. These supplements have proven valuable for many of the health problems related to type 2 diabetes.. They are not a panacea, however combined with a low glycemic index diet and plenty of aerobic exercise, can go a Loooooooooooog way to preventing diabetic complications.)
- Vitamin C - I follow Dr. Linus Pauling's "Unified Theory" of heart disease as opposed to the lipid theory of heart disease promoted by the medical community at large and pushed by the pharmaceutical industry especially in the form of statin drugs. I take every day of my life( 8000 mg to 10,000 mg of vitamin C daily) split up in 3 doses morning, noon and night. Many type 2 diabetics also develop heart disease, strokes etc. and I feel there is a bundle of evidence that Dr. Pauling's mega doses of vitamin C combined with L-Lysine, L-Proline , Vitamin E, and CoQ10 play a dramatic role in heart and cardiovascular health.. (Doesn't seem to affect the outcome whether you take capsules or tablets or a combination of both or perhaps the all in one formula in powder form from "Tower labs" or perhaps the C-Salts powdered formula in addition to the Lysine, Proline, CoQ10 and Vitamin E).
- CAUTION******** IF you are on any blood thinners such as Coumadin etc. you should NOT take large doses of Vitamin C without first seeking advice from a certified nutritionist or very knowledgeable doctor before taking mega doses of vitamin C.
- Pomegranate Caps - stay away from pure juice because of sugar content (SEE my other BLOG Posts)
- Pycogenol / French Maritime Pine bark Extract / numerous benefits
- CholesLo - as sold by HFL Solutions (Dr. Sam Robbins). This product in my personal experience works much better than Lipitor or Crestor, and other Big Pharma drugs with NONE of the awful side effects. I have numerous blog posts on this subject. When I first started on CholesLo, I dropped my triglycerides 43% in just 71 days and have been on the product since then with ZERO side effects. LINK BELOW TO ORDER CHOLESLO
- Benfotiamine (pronounced ben-fo ta-mean) which is a FAT soluble form of vitamin B1 to prevent and even reverse diabetic neuropathy and nerve damage. See several posts on my blog for much more detail and recommended dose age. It also lowers blood glucose levels naturally and lowers blood pressure. Again, for the vast majority of people, NO side effects. I prefer the 300 mg caps and take (3) daily.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid with L-Carnitine
- Vitamin D3 / 5000 mg daily year round
- Water Kefir (home made probiotic and digestive track tonic) See blog posts on HOW TO!
- Calcium, magnesium and zinc play a vital role in overall health and diabetes control.
- Daily KELP tablet for iodine supplementation / 150 mcg
- GREEN Smoothies to help balance PH of interstitial fluid / SEE many blog posts
- 20 mg Lutein along with Bilberry and Astaxanthin for the EYES
- Organic Cold Pressed Ground Flaxseed Powder to sprinkle on soups and oatmeal
- Would also encourage you to take a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil daily along with a tablespoon of extra virgin Coconut Oil, AND a quality fish oil supplement.
- Multiple daily vitamin/mineral/food supplement - I personally take Alive Men's 50 Plus whole food supplement. I have tried others but keep coming back to this formula. Price is right and it is available at your local health food store or almost any drug store or even on line.
FOR MEN: Best Prostate formula from HFL Solutions contains Beta-Sitosterol 310 mg zinc
citrate at 15mg, and Selenium Chelate at 15 mcg with each capsule.
Consider: L-Arginine combined with L-Citrulline caps available from Puritan Pride, VitaCost and also Swanson Vitamins (Great supplement with heart health benefits and to help BOOST Nitric Oxide)
- Pycnogenol (Maritime french bark extract) lowers blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetics) along with other health benefits. SEE LINK BELOW:
A new study to be published in an upcoming edition of the journal Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice reveals that French maritime pine tree extract known as Pycnogenol® (pic-noj-en-all) delays the uptake of glucose from a meal 190 times more than prescription medications, preventing the typical high-glucose peak in the blood stream after a meal. The study revealed the pine bark is more potent for suppressing carbohydrate absorption in diabetes than synthetic prescription alpha-glucosidase inhibitors such as Precose®.