Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

UPDATE on My Blood Pressure History

As mentioned in previous posts, I started out taking Felodipine and Lisinopril for high blood pressure a few years ago. At one time, I was also on Niaspan and TRICOR for cholesterol and high triglycerides etc. Somewhere along the line my lisinopril got changed to lisinopril HCZT. The HCZT simply means the doctor added a diuretic for some unknown reason even though my blood pressure readings were in the normal range without it. After a while I began to experience an uneasy awareness of my heart beating MAINLY while laying on my left side at night. I read up on the side effects and realized that lisinopril depletes potassium which is in large part responsible for a rhythmic heart beat amongst other things. I then had my new doctor remove the HCZT off the lisinopril. In the process the dose was doubled to 40mg morning and evening instead of just in the morning.

I have voluntarily been taking only (1) pill in the morning since finding out about the blood pressure lowering qualities of eating celery and drinking celery and apple juice whipped up in my Vita Mixer. I normally use 3 or 4 stalks of celery, 1 medium apple, and a teaspoon of All Day energy Greens added to a cup of water, perhaps a tablespoon of low fat yogurt and if needed one stevia packet. The celery drink is also an excellent PH balancing drink for your alkalinity.

I am happy to report that in taking my blood pressure several times a week, the results have been running in the 120/75 or lower range consistently at different times of day.

Baby steps to be sure, however to my mind they mark progress. I have cut my blood pressure medicine in half and removed the diuretic with NO ill effects and I am sleeping better. I have also cut my Glipizide pill dosage in 1/2 for the morning dose. I hope to be doing the same to the evening dose along with cutting back to only (1) metformin in the evening also.

I am going to wait to see how my BG readings go for a while before cutting back anymore. In the interim, I am stepping up my weight resistance training, especially the squats.

Dan

In all the controversies over what the causes of diversities might be, no one seem to have paid much attention to the factor in the environment that has the most obvious effect on any organism: food.
- Michael Crawford & David Marsh, The Driving Force: Food in Evolution and the Future

 
(Deuteronomy 7:12,15 NIV) "'But you shall serve the Lord your God, and He will bless your bread and your water; and I will remove sickness from your midst.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment