In particular there is a chapter on both Type 1 and type 2 diabetes and the best way to control it or ELIMINATE it. Here is an excerpt on Diabetes Complications from page 147:
- Heart disease 2-4 times the risk of death from heart disease
- Stroke 2-4 times the risk of stroke
- High blood pressure - over 70% of people with diabetes have high blood pressure
- Blindness / diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in adults
- Kidney disease - leading cause of end stage kidney disease and over 100,000 diabetics underwent dialysis or kidney transplants in 1999
- Nervous system disease - 60% to 70% of diabetics suffer mild to severe nervous system damage
- Amputation - over 60% of all lower limb amputations occur with diabetics
- Dental Disease - increased frequency and severity of gum disease that can lead to tooth loss
- Pregnancy complications
- Increase susceptibility to other illnesses
WOW, quite a list and yet every time I go to the local diabetes clinic for a check up, I witness an estimated 50-70% of people in the waiting room that are grossly overweight. Most of us to NOT take diabetes serious enough until it is too late.
Just a quick note from my own observation and dental checkups, is that much of the dental disease listed above (in my opinion) is at least partially caused by various prescription drugs (including blood pressure meds) that cause DRY MOUTH syndrome which in turn leads to gum disease and eroding of the gums etc. It would not hurt to have your dentist give you a prescription for fluoride toothpaste and to start rinsing your mouth out just before going to bed with one of the dry mouth formula solutions. I personally use BIOTENE and am very happy with it. IF you get up in the night to use the bathroom, rinse your mouth out again before going back to bed.
Controlling or curing diabetes is a combination of aerobic and weight training exercises done faithfully along with dramatically curbing your intake of refined carbohydrates. SUGAR, especially from cakes, candies, puddings, pies, cookies etc. is very detrimental to your overall health and plays havoc on your attempts at controlling or defeating type 2 diabetes.
Next post will be an easy to understand synopsis of metabolism and what causes this wonderful God given process to go wrong leading to type 2 diabetes which accounts for 90-95% of all diabetes cases.
“That which is used - develops. That which is not used wastes away.”
“A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses.”